Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our First Fire

Our first fire

The day before yesterday, we had our first fire in the fireplace. During the day, I opened the damper and looked up the chimney. Everything looked to be in good order. I cut up some of the horribly warped lumber in my workshop and made a nice fire.

The fireplace draws very well. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it reflects heat out into the room, too. We're now considering a serious firewood purchase. I'm seriously considering slab wood - that is, the parts of a log that are cut off by the sawmill - which presents a much better value than normal split firewood. I've found someone who will deliver 3 bundles of slab wood, 8-12 feet long, which should represent 1.5-2 cords, for $175. The additional advantage of this is that because I will be cutting the wood to length, I can cut it to fit my fireplace, which is wider than average.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Looks so warm and cozy.

karrey said...

I'm jealous! We're thinking of adding a woodstove and just piping into our existing (and unused) furnace chimney.

artemis said...

I'm jealous too....out here in California we have a burn ban right now. :(

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Artemis - at least you don't have to use your fireplace to help keep the heating bill down. I fully expect our next gas bill to exceed our monthly mortgage payment.

Anonymous said...

I really like the Tudor style hearth!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

TO.Victorian - thanks. I can't wait to strip the paint off of it. It should be much easier than stripping paint from brick. I'm just glad that the custom firescreen is still present.