Thursday, March 12, 2009

Contractor woes, an update

I talked to the plumber today before leaving for work. He explained that he was unable to obtain a straight vertical pipe (I forget the technical term) that goes between the tank and the bowl that is long enough. He said that he'll be fabricating an extension, so that it will sit at the right height.

He further stated that he had attached it to the wall so that he could figure out exactly how high it needed to go. When I pointed out to him that this was one more unnecessary hole in the wall, he said that it would be covered by the tank and that he would caulk it in. I countered that this was an unblemished tile that could have been used for a repair elsewhere in the room, and that this was a hole in the wall that didn't need to be there.

I don't know what to ask for at this point. While there may be manufacturers out there that make white tile that the same shape and has a flat glaze, matching the color will be close to impossible. I don't think it's reasonable to ask him to cover the cost of a custom color match for one tile - that would be excessive.

What would you do? What would you ask for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I think your plumber is used to working in the suburbs, where (1) homeowners don't care what's going on behind their tanks, and (2) if they did, they can just make a trip to Lowe's for more cheap tile.

Unfortunately (well, fortunately for me, I guess), I don't have enough experience to know what would be fair compensation. If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure he finishes the job, then let him know you won't be hiring him for anything else, and exactly why. Not in an antagonistic way, but in a matter-of-fact sort of way. "Sorry, contractor, but I think you and I have different perspectives on historic homes, and I'll be looking elsewhere in the future."

Bungalow Monster said...

WAIT! Call these toilet people first.They have an amazing stock of antique fixture parts. deabath.com (800-255-4426) I have a very rare antique toilet that they were able to provide parts for that I found nowhere else. For what it's worth.

Todd - Home Construction Improvement said...

I think you need to confront him and explain why you're so upset. I'd ask him what he thinks if fair compensation for doing something of this nature. Maybe he'll offer a free service of some sorts.