Thursday, December 18, 2008

Moving forward

We are moving forward on the house, slowly but surely.

Last night, I finished ripping all the staples and tack strips out of the baby room. Now all that remains is to sand and finish the spackling where the blinds were and to touch up the paint. I'll also want to repaint the quarter-round on the floor, but I'm not sure if that needs to be done immediately. It's half yellow, due to the location of the carpet. Also, the floor needs to be scrubbed to remove the last bits of carpet padding residue, but that duty has been delegated to A.

I installed drywall yesterday over a very small wall in the basement, due to concerns that our car might try to climb into it and get stuck. Now we'll be able to move the litterbox from our first floor bathroom to the basement!

I also schlepped all of the lumber from the garage into the basement. I purchased some metal shelving brackets to hold the wood, though it has become clear that I will need more. I will get my workshop organized, one way or another. I'm inclined to cut a certain amount of the butternut I purchased on eBay a few years ago into firewood. It has twisted and turned so much that I doubt I could even use it for shop shelving.

Basement door

On an unrelated note, I thought I'd share this view of the basement door. Clearly someone made an error when framing it and so had to cut the door to fit. Aesthetically, I think that it is more interesting than the door would have been otherwise.

No comments: