Monday, December 7, 2009

A finished roof and an update, finally

Copper roof repair, finished!

I haven't posted here in a while because there hasn't been much going on around the house. The roof repairs are done for this year. I'm really pleased with the job that Dennis Crookshanks did on the job. There was a large section of slate that showed evidence of several different repairs in the past. He replaced it with flat-seam copper and installed ice guards. He also replaced some of the slate on the breezeway and replaced the flashing there, too.

Copper Roof, finished!

The flat-seam copper really looks great.

Of course, now I'm seeing all the other flashing work that needs to be done - one project at a time, I guess. Given the build quality of the rest of the house, I'm surprised that they used galvanized flashing instead of copper.




There's another reason why I haven't posted on here in a while. I've been working on another project, Cleveland Area History. I've been writing about all sorts of things relating to the history of the greater Cleveland area. I toured the house where Langston Hughes lived during his sophomore and junior years of high school. I've talked about two of the oldest houses in the area, one in Cleveland Heights, the other in Cleveland. I've illustrated a National Register of Historic Places historic district. And there's more. Check it out.

12 comments:

Karen Anne said...

What's that on the front of the copper?

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Ice guards, to help keep falling ice from smashing into people and slate below.

Jacci said...

Looks great :) I've had fun reading through quite a lot of your blog tonight. Your house is really lovely and the copper looks perfect. Glad the new contractor is working out better for you!

~Jacci in SW Ohio

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Thanks. I hope to post more soon, but that would mean that I'd actually have to get some work done on the house.

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

I just found your home blog. Having serious house envy right now : ) Your house is beautiful- the dormers, the woodwork, those copper gutters!
Was that your kitchen that was shown on Cleveland Area History? I wish my kitchen had some of it's original charm. It was updated in the 80's. Ack- awful time period for home decor.

I'm looking forward to following along and seeing more of your renovation projects!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

The yellow kitchen? Or the one that I posted to the comment about the free stove?

If you're looking for information about how to do a historic kitchen right, I'd suggest reading Bungalow Kitchens. It's not so much a book for bungalows, but for all types of kitchens in the first third of the 20th century.

Alas, I've pretty much abandoned this blog. Cleveland Area History is taking virtually all of my free time, and what remains is going into working on the house. I've thought about cross-posting some content, especially when it comes to proper restoration technique, but I'd rather get a construction professional to write about how to do it properly.

Anonymous said...

I saw this place as an open house a long time ago when it was on the market- I think at the time it was listed for $320. It needed a lot of work but it was a nice space w/ a nice floor plan. Nice little library off the living room and a great second floor. The updates so far look great, roof looks fantastic. If you have kitchen updates I'd love to see them, I remember the kitchen was a bit of a mess from an updating standpoint. Good luck with the rest of the projects!

Jason

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

The kitchen, ah yes - the problem that everyone found with the house, and couldn't figure out a workaround.

We ended up getting a great vintage stove, and a new refrigerator and dishwasher, but other than that, it remains unchanged. We're happy with the layout of the space. The biggest challenge (as with any kitchen of this era) is continually smacking yourself on the wrist as a reminder to avoid unnecessary gadgets. With this in mind, it becomes a very usable space.

Sandra Ludwig said...

That looks great. The copper is nice, and its color blends in well with the walls below. Overall, the whole house - from the windows to copper and everything else - looks great. =)

Ali said...

That looks awesome Pam. Great job!!! :)

Roman shades concord, ca
Hank Hendricks

Alpha Roofing said...

Wow! Amazing job! It looks Gret!





Alpha Roofing & Construction Inc.

Azulejo tipo metro said...

It looks really great. Thanks.